Saturday, October 8, 2011

Burlap Banners

Burlap banners = my first time to touch a sewing machine.  And what a good project to get started trying out my "mommy homemaker" skills.

With some wonderful crafters on Etsy being my inspiration I set off on my DIY project.  It was actually pretty easy.  1) cut burlap into triangles, 2) surge the edges so they don't unravel, 3)  iron them flat if they are wrinkled, 4)  paint on the letters, using homemade templates, 5) fold & sew the top of the triangle around some jute twine/rope and back onto itself; sew so the letter can move back and forth.  Yep, Easy.  The hardest part is cutting triangles out of the burlap (burlap is hard to cut in a straight line).  Really really hard.

Homemade templates:  Keep it simple.  I blew up the letters in Microsoft word to take up most of a regular sheet of printing paper.  Printed.  Used my X-Acto knife to cut out the letters.  TaDa, a homemade template.

And this is the results!

 

 Smiles all around!  Just how I imagined they'd turn out.  :) :) :)

And my first sewing machine adventure is a success. Only some loud yelling at the spools and continual needle threading was involved. hehe.

Photography by Mandy Ballard

No comments:

Post a Comment