Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bored? Nope. Oh, how life has changed.

My husband's son has been staying with us over his Summer break in Australia,  6 weeks.  Usually he despises going into to town for errands.  Yesterday he was up and ready and enthusiastic about our trip to town.  He told me he was ready to go because he was "Bored."  Once we got home, yep, he is "bored" again.  Apparently only so much fun can be had from jumping around the house like a mad man between PS3 games and Legos.  He got this real miserable look on his face, like "save me from the torture, I have nothing to do."  Other than play outside, play his endless video games, use his PS3 to facebook and everything else out there in that internet world, he especially likes you tube surfing,  read, put up his stuff from the pile he made on the living room floor.  Of course he had nothing to do.  Silly me, for thinking anything differently.

Then, I realized.  I don't get that feeling anymore.  I remember being a kid, and getting that painful feeling of boredom.  Like the hours will never pass, because I have nothing to do.  At least nothing I wanted to do.  I don't get that anymore.  Not at all.  Even though I have been in Norway for almost 3 months now without a job, I keep myself busy.  The closest thing to boredom that occurs is the time between paintings sitting on the kitchen counter, when I have to get up the gumption to bring out another idea I can only see in my head and no one else understands yet.  That can take a while of be pondering and procrastinating; it feels mildly like boredom.  Of course, when I'm staring blankly into the fridge wondering what to cook for dinner.  Then sitting down pondering it.  Yah, it's kinda like boredom, but not really.  When I stare out the window procrastinating laundry or the dishes, or hanging a painting.  That is kinda like boredom,  but more a lovely quiet time to enjoy peace and watch the neighbors.

I don't know when my life changed.  When my life went from including boredom, to boredom being more a time for quite reflection before the next big project or task.  Boredom is now the joyful time that is hard to find time for.  No matter how much or how little we have to do, boredom as a 12 year old knows it, no longer exists in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment